Saturday, March 16, 2013

MATCH DAY!

 I think Match Day was just one of those things that I could have never prepared myself for. I was not nervous or scared. I was excited. I felt pretty confident that Travis would match at Scott and White, and I also felt pretty confident that if he did not match at S&W, I was ready to go wherever God called us. I was excited about the opportunity to stay where are family and friends are and I was excited about the possibility of an adventure. 
It didn't hit me until they started calling names to come up and get their envelopes that today was a HUGE day for all of these students. They have worked so incredibly hard these last four years. They have put everything they have into it, and today they would find out where the next part of their journey would begin. For some people this would be finding out that they matched at their dream hospital, for some people it would be finding out that they matched to their least favorite hospital. Some people would be moving their families across the country to follow their dreams. I got especially teary eyed every time someone would go to the front with their kids. I just know from our situation that they have faced extra challenges along the way. It's a whole different ballgame for those people. 
I was way more emotional than I thought I would be. I fought back a lot of tears. I was overwhelmingly proud of Travis and all of his classmates. I'm so thankful that Colby, Camryn and I got to be a part of this special day!!
We got to the Marriott in Round Rock around 9:30. Luckily it was a very relaxed atmosphere and we could let the kiddos run and crawl around for the first hour or so. 
Travis and his classmates before the ceremony began
 Ready to get this party started!!
At the very beginning, the student affairs staff members were so cute and came out in sunglasses like secret service with the brief case that had the envelopes inside. 
Then all of the staff members came up and put some money in a fish bowl in front of the stage. 
Each student's name was randomly called. They went up to the front, added a dollar to the bowl and accepted their envelope.  (The very last person who was called got to keep all of the money!!!! They put it towards the bar tab that night at the match day party) Then they had to wait until everyone had an envelope before they could open them. (torture!!) 
Travis was called towards the beginning and took both of the kids up with him. Colby added his dollar to the bowl and accepted daddy's envelope from Dr. Ogden. :) (everyone was laughing because it was as if this was all about him!)
Also, as each student came to the front, a theme song played that they had picked for themselves. Trav's song was dueling banjos! haha
We had to sit for about 45 minutes just holding the envelope and waiting! 
FINALLY, the last name was called and the students were told to open their envelopes. Travis let Colby open his envelope....which made our wait about 5 minutes longer than it should have. :) Everyone around us was screaming and hollering, and we were just sitting there waiting.....haha. 
Of course Travis thought it would be funny to tell me that it said Oklahoma, but I knew the smile on his face meant that he was officially accepted to Scott and White!!
As soon as everyone opened the envelopes, they began a slideshow with all of their pictures and where they matched. I was excited to get a picture of Travis and Lupe together since they matched together to the orthopedic surgery residency at S&W and would be together for the next 5 years. :)
(there were only 4 spots total, and these two guys snatched 2 of them.....the other 2 guys they'll be working with are coming from San Antonio and Travis is very excited! I think if he could have hand picked 3 other guys to work with, he would have picked those guys)
These 2 babies were SO WELL BEHAVED! Especially since we left our house at 8:30 and they had to sit through an hour long ceremony from 10:30-11:30. By noon they were definitely done, though, and ready to get home for naps. I'm so glad we decided to take them with us though. It was definitely a special family moment. 

That night we headed back to Austin for the Match Day party at Abel's on the Lake. We took a bus from the hotel to the restaurant. That was interesting to say the least. Trav's class is extremely eclectic and equally fun. We had a blast celebrating with all of them, eating, dancing, and just catching up with everyone's future plans. 
 Trav cannot handle people taking pictures without him....sorry Cate!
 We spent most of the night with Trav's good buddy, Lael and his 1st year med school student girlfriend, Cate. They are great! Lael matched in Baton Rouge, so we're definitely planning to visit him next year....I'm dying to go to New Orleans! 

No comments:

Post a Comment